Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer

Summer. The 4th of July holiday has come and gone, and with it a fear is setting in that summer will be gone before I have had the chance to find a rhythm. Being a schoolteacher has many inherent rewards. The first and by far the most rewarding is that of making a difference in the life of a child. I try very hard to remember each day that the children I serve are God's children, and there is a chance that I may be the only one in their life that is kind to them that day. I LOVE to work with the kids.


Another benefit is that my hours are basically the same as the hours I had as a child attending school. The holidays and weekends are spent with my family. I am home pretty early each day (though I often spend hours after work at home on the computer). There is that familiar rhythm of holidays and seasons that are the underlying fabric of school culture.


But summer, now that my children are grown, has become a challenge for me. There is plenty that I SHOULD get done, but not much that I WANT to do. I feel lazy. I lack motivation. MOST days I avoid even looking at my email! I am officially a slug.


So, what I WANT is to have a friend that will hike or go rock-climbing with me. I want to be fit, but I want to PLAY to become healthy. I don't want to just go to the gym or do mundane exercises. I want adventure. Why did everyone grow up?

No comments: