Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gratitude

I have a dear, dear friend with many trials in her life. The amazing thing about her is her capacity to serve others despite the pain in her own heart. One of the trials she faces right now is that her only sister, Jeanel, is suffering with cancer - check out her link on my blog list to the lower right - Jeanel's Fight - ...anyway, I rarely visit the site without weeping. This battle has set her priorities in order to be sure. There is nothing petty left in her life. I am especially struck by her gratitude list written near Thanksgiving time, so I am reprinting it here:

"I am grateful for laundry because it means my kids have clothes to wear.
I am grateful for dishes because it means we have food to eat.
I am grateful for my husband being gone because it means he has a job and can support our family.
I am grateful for picking up because it means my kids have toys to play with.
I am grateful for feeling a little sick after my treatment because it means I have modern medicine to help fight the cancer.
I am grateful for the noise in my house because it means I have three little boys to love.
I am grateful for the door that is left open because it means my boys have a safe place to play.
I am grateful for the price tag at the pump because it means I have a car to drive.
I am grateful for balancing holiday time with our families because it means my husband was raised by loving parents.
I am grateful for the alarm clock because it means I need to go to the gym to take care of myself.
I am grateful for the toothpaste on the counter because it means some must have made it onto their toothbrush.
I am grateful for my monthly trips to Seattle because it means I get to spend time with someone I love while hopefully keeping my cancer at bay.

Things in our life may not always be how we would like, but we have the opportunity to find the bright side and let it be our focus."

My trials right now feel huge, but when I visit her site, my hardships are put in perspective. I do not have time for hatred in my life. I will not allow Satan to win by poisoning my heart. Life is too short, and there is already too much pain in the world. Christ's answer was love, and I believe in Christ. I believe that He can heal ALL pain, and He will heal mine. If Suzette can act in Christlike ways, if my amazing mom and daddy continue to press on through all life's trials, if Barb can act in Christlike ways, if Hailey can act in Christlike ways, if my dear husband can act in Christlike ways, If Jacque still checks up on me and finds time for fun, love, and joy, and if Brady can still be kind through all he is suffering, then I can overcome Satan and day by day become a kinder more grateful woman and rid my heart of the poison that has taken root. I love my family and friends and also my students way too much to allow the poison to destroy me.
Love you all,
Lynette

No comments: