Saturday, February 20, 2010

Family



I have such a fabulous family! My friends and kids will tell you that I often say, "I WON the parent lottery!!! On top of that, my husband is the kindest man I know, and although we each have our quirky flaws, I love my children with all my heart!

We have been blessed to have a loving family dog named Bilbo; a little Shi-tzu that has been by my side since 1994. He has been losing his health at a stady pace over the last several months, and on Wednesday morning he was not in my room. He ALWAYS sleeps with us. I immediately asked my husband where he was, and he replied that he had been up with him much of the night, and he could have crawled off to die. I went searching for him and found him downstairs near the kitchen with labored breathing and a 'death rattle' to his breathing. We had to take him to his vet and let them euthanize him while we stroked his head, wept, and spoke our final words to him. Anyone that has had a close family pet knows the pain of losing one. I keep tearing up every time I think of him.

We have had other personal losses this month too, but this one hurts in a deeper place. Dogs are so loyal. They never lie. They give love unconditionally, and just want to be near you. I miss him at the bottom of my bed while I do my homework. It feels like my heart has been ripped in 2, but I am so grateful to have had him all those years. He was a fabulous companion to my 3 kids. He was great company to all of us. So here's to you Bub's -and hope to see you on the other side!

No comments: