Thursday, August 19, 2010

WORK !!!

Wow! Did Summer even happen? It snuck past me before I had the chance to savor its precious moments. Which is sad, because I know they were there -I just missed them. I have become a full-blown room rat.

In my younger years, my parents couldn't keep me home with handcuffs, a ball and chain! My mom would say, "You're grounded." And I would reply, "I know" As I opened the front door with a smirky grin and walked out into freedom. There wasn't much that could tie me down or prevent me from living life at full speed ahead. I worked hard and played harder. I drove a sporty red Triumph Spitfire convertible that I paid for myself by going to work at 4 or 5 am before school each day, then right after school I would return to the sewing factory to earn more $ and worked til 7:00 each evening.

I started working as a very young child. I worked in the local farms picking cherries with my friends. Then my dad bought 23 acres across from our home and I spent years planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting 5 acres of tomatoes. We also had 5 acres of peaches that had to be pruned, sprayed, irrigated, thinned, and gently harvested. In addition, we had chickens, cows, sheep(bad idea), a goat(another bad idea!), a horse, a dog, and some cats (not pets- just mousers- me + cats = NO)

I always woke up each morning before the sun rose, ate my breakfast, and waited for enough light to leave the house and begin my assigned chores. I wanted all my chores done before 10am so that I could spend the rest of the day playing with my best childhood friend, Jacque. We played all day every day. My childhood truly was what I consider to be a perfect childhood.

JACQUE'S FAMILY
Katy, Wes, Jacque, and Ken

On Christmas mornings each year, my siblings and I would wake up extra early -as soon as Santa left our house ;-) and revel in our gifts while it was still dark. It took every ounce of control I could muster to wait until 9:00am to run over to Jacque's and start ringing her doorbell. Of course that woke up her entire family and I would drag them to their basement where they would begin unwrapping their gifts. 'Santa' had to wrap ALL of their presents because NOTHING would escape Jacque's ever inquisitive spirit. She would even carefully unwrap and re-wrap gifts in order to make her mom think she hadn't snooped. We got VERY worked up about Christmas. We got excited about EVERYTHING in life. We were going to do EVERYTHING and BE everything! We were sure we would conquer the world!!! We were the absolute OPPOSITE of lazy.

But for me, something happened. I really don't know what it was. Probably the combo of MANY things, but I have become a person that would prefer to never leave my room. I am usually ok once I am out and about, but getting there is SOO overwhelming that just the thought of it can do me in. I want my enthusiasm for life back! I don't want to grow old like this. It HAS to change or .......

1 comment:

Barb Elder said...

I still see you a person with a lot of life and a lot of fun. I love you and who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!